Here is this week’s guided reflection on Pope Francis’ apostolic letter Patris Corde, With a Father’s Heart. You can use this series on your own for person reflection, or you can use it with your family or friends. It works very well for short zoom gatherings online!
Joseph, A Creatively Courageous Father
the flight into Egypt with Mary and Jesus demanded courage and creativity.
As refugees, faced with many hardships,
you found ways to keep your family safe from harm.
You are the guardian of the Church.
Help us protect and care for Jesus and Mary in our own time
by creatively and courageously giving witness to the truth, beauty and goodness.
In Jesus’ name, we pray.
In this video clip, Sister Sheila Fortune, Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada, reflects on St. Joseph as a creatively courageous father.
She considers questions such as:
– How does God trust St. Joseph to carry out his saving plan?
– Sometimes, we are faced with challenges and are tempted to give up or take the easy way out. How does God call us to be courageous in concrete and creative ways?
– Joseph loved and protected the child and his mother. How do you learn from St. Joseph the same care and responsibility?
For further reflection
Take some time to consider these questions. If you are reflecting on your own you may wish to journal. If you are using this reflection with a group, perhaps give time for personal reflection as well as optional sharing.
– When we are feeling comfortable and secure with the way our lives are unfolding, sometimes God intervenes. Can you describe an experience from your own life when God intervened and perhaps disturbed your status quo?
– Will we like St. Joseph to respond courageously to what God is asking of us?
– Can we, like Mary and Joseph, find creative solutions to the challenges that we meet?
Hail, Guardian of the Redeemer,
Spouse of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
To you God entrusted his only Son;
in you Mary placed her trust;
with you Christ became man.
Blessed Joseph, to us too,Prayer: © Libreria Editrice Vaticana
show yourself a father
and guide us in the path of life.
Obtain for us grace, mercy and courage,
and defend us from every evil. Amen.
Watch this website next Tuesday for
Joseph, A Working Father