The Congregation of the Sisters of Immaculate Heart of Mary Mother of Christ, was founded on October 7, 1937 in Nigeria, by Archbishop Charles Heerey CSSP, an Irish Missionary. The plight of the less privileged, the overwhelming ignorance, abject poverty, malnutrition, poor medical care and dehumanizing conditions of women and children in his mission captured his compassion and humble personality. Hence Archbishop Henrey founded an indigenous Religious Community to help in this ministry.
The Charism bequeathed to us by our Founder is Compassion of Christ in a Spirit of Humility for the service of humanity, especially the uplifting of women and family life under the patronage of Our Lady. With community life centred on the Holy Eucharist and Marian devotions, about 950 IHMMC sisters serve as missionaries in many countries of Africa, Europe, Canada and USA.
Our sisters minister in different capacities. Our apostolates encompass education and healthcare at different levels, pastoral work, retreat and counselling, agriculture and social services. IHMMC sisters run programs in many African countries that empower widows to be self-sufficient; provide shelter for pregnant teenage mothers to avoid the evil of abortion, and a compassionate home for orphans of deceased AIDS patients and abandoned elders.
In Hamilton Diocese we are ministering from St. Pius X Parish, Brantford. We serve in healthcare. We are active in different parishes in Brantford as liturgical ministers, faith sharing groups, Legion of Mary and prison ministry. We have an associate group that meets once a month to know more and share in our charism and spirit while living out their Christian commitment in their homes and places of work.
For more information: www.ihmmcsisters.org and:www.ihmguadaluperegion.org