In Paris France on February 17, 1836, a group of men under the leadership of a layman, Bogdan Janski, sought to live the dream of God by forming a religious Community which they would name the Congregation of the Resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ. On Easter Sunday, March 27, 1842, Peter Semenenko and Jerome Kajsiewicz, along with five other clerics, professed their first Religious Vows in the catacombs of St. Sebastian in Rome. The vision and dream of these men was to dedicate themselves to the Risen Saviour and call themselves, “Brothers of the Resurrection”. These men are our elder brothers whose lives we seek to emulate!
Historically, about half of our men in the Ontario Kentucky Province ministered in high school and university education. The other half were in parishes. Presently, most of our full time active men minister in parishes, which include: Sacred Heart, St. Louis, St. Francis, and St. Mary’s in the Kitchener-Waterloo area, St. Joseph’s in Brantford, St. Joseph’s and St. Stanislaus in Hamilton, Ontario and St. Theresa’s Cathedral in Hamilton, Bermuda, along with St. Boniface Parish in Louisville Kentucky. One priest is in University Education in Maryland.
Fr. Louis Funcken founded St. Jerome’s (College) University in 1865. To date SJU has graduated one cardinal, seven bishops and numerous priests. Our entire community is divided into three provinces and one region. Worldwide we have about three hundred members in 17 different countries. It is the desire of Resurrectionists to bring Hope to God’s World; we are committed to bring about the Resurrection of Society.