May 12 – 19, 2019
The Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops, in a bid to support families and life, has declared a Week for Life and the Family in Canada for the last several years. This year the week takes place from Sunday, May 12 – Sunday, May 19th. This year’s theme is “Listening to the Gospel of the Family” and is a chance to engage families in their most important role, passing on the faith to their children.
Consider doing one of the suggested events and activities below with your family this week:
- Prepare a special meal together as a family. Take some extra time during grace to have each member of the family affirm another member of the family.
- Pray a scriptural rosary together. If you have small children, pray only one or two decades of the rosary. A scriptural rosary from the Knights of Columbus is available on line here: https://www.kofc.org/en/resources/cis/cis319.pdf
- After supper on Saturday evening, go over the readings for the Mass on Sunday.
- If you have a young child or children, buy them a children’s bible or a bible coloring book. If you have teenagers, the following apps are available free: Laudate, The Catholic Mega App, Rediscover: app, Catholic Study Bible App, The Pope App.
- Find out if there is a Catholic shrine near you and make a family pilgrimage. If there are no shrines near you, attend Mass at a nearby Catholic church where your family has never been. Or take a virtual tour of a famous Catholic Church such as St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome (do a YouTube search).
- Read the Gospel of Mark together. It is the shortest gospel and takes about one and a half hours to read; read it over the course of one week (~13 minutes a day).